Tuesday, January 20, 2009

When you're furloughed in Frisco, President Obama makes your day

Lots has happened since my last post: we went back to work (but won't be paid until February), we had another momentous last-minute staff meeting (more on that later), we went back to Pop's (although ditched out on Bacon Night 48 hours later), and discovered a happy hour special down the hill from work that rivals Pop's (and if you can believe it, the place doesn't smell like an outhouse).

But the most important thing that's happened since I last wrote took place today. It's Obama Day and I've been celebrating since 5:30 am. Truth be told, I was so excited for today's festivities that I couldn't sleep last night. I just couldn't wait to wake up and watch Barack take the helm of our country.

The Inauguration was beautiful. And I guess great minds think alike, because at each of the Inaugural Balls Barack and Michelle danced to "At Last" - the same song that I walked down the aisle to at my wedding! I hosted a viewing party today at work and the cafe was packed with students, faculty, and staff. I almost called in sick because I wanted to watch the Inauguration without being interrupted, but I'm so glad I didn't. It was really nice for our community to come together to commemorate such a joyous event - especially considering that the last two times the staff has been drawn together ended negatively, resulting in lower team morale.

But today we celebrated and I'm still on a high.

Lots of Groceries and I marked the occasion with a fantastic bottle of champagne (90 points at BevMo) and spaghetti with Lots of Groceries' homemade sauce. Yum! We even toasted our new President!

I'm so proud today. And so happy. And so thankful! I hope the next four years bring a renewed sense of purpose and optimism to the country.

Happy Obama Day everyone!

No comments: