Saturday, December 6, 2008

When you're furloughed in Frisco you start baking!

That's right, I did it. I baked cupcakes for hours last night! In fact, I stayed up until 1:00 am because I needed to frost four dozen of them. They're super cute, but truth be told, the cake itself wasn't my best work. I guess that's what happens when you spend the night with a spatula in one hand and a g & t in the other.

But don't worry, I didn't spend a dime on these suckers! My lovely place of employment footed the bill so I could bring these festive little guys to our art sale today. I love me a good bakesale, and I love me some cupcakes. And trust me, they are even more delicious when you can lick batter off the beaters knowing that those funfetti sprinkles aren't taking a toll on your pocketbook. Here's the final product:


YUM!

We were supposed to be selling them to defray the cost of the ingredients, but I gave several away for free. Why? Because it was cold outside, and attendance at the sale left something to be desired, and because $1 for a cupcake is kind of a lot for some of our students.

The best part of the day was when an older English guy (accent, bad teeth, and all) stumbled through the courtyard delighted to hear that we were playing Lou Reed. He took one look at my cupcakes, shot a photo of them while calling them "iconic", and then announced that he had always wanted to dance in a courtyard to Lou Reed with "a bit of cake in my hand." He looked ready to boogie down but got a little shy when no one else jumped up to dance with him. I feel kind of bad -we should have joined him.

In other news, one of my also furloughed friends will soon be contributing to the blog. Stay tuned!

No comments: