Tuesday, January 27, 2009

When you're furloughed in Frisco...you scrub toilets?

Man. (Imagine I just said that in a whiney, defeated voice).

Sigh.

So I guess I should just be glad that I even have a job right now... Because, I could, you know, be furloughed or something. Although, if I were furloughed, I'd probably be playing Rock Band at home in jeans and flip-flops instead of balancing budgets in my office wearing "work clothes" and uncomfortable pointy-toed boots (which I really need to get rid of, by the way).

Maybe if they paid me a full paycheck I wouldn't be annoyed right now. But they haven't, so I am.

I just found out that come June 30th, I will spend three days scrubbing toilets and showers in order to get our building ready for the next bunch of students to move-in. Why? Oh, well, because our budget has been cut and we can no longer afford to have a janitorial service come through. That's why. So I have to do it. I have to do that, and clean the disgusting rooms that students leave behind. No, it's not just me. I'll be just one of several co-workers (none of us janitors and all of us with advanced degrees) to tackle this job. But still.


I really didn't sign up for this. I didn't leave my cushy job across the bay (doesn't it kill you that hindesight is 20-20) to jump on board the train-wreck express. I can take the elimination of matching 403b retirement contributions. I can clearly take being furloughed. I am even taking a 5% salary cut, effective February 1st, and ending...well...never. But scrubbing disgusting freshmen toilets?! I just don't know if I can do that.

Everybody has a line that they can't cross. I don't know, but I'm feeling like I might have just encountered mine.


2 comments:

Megann said...

noooooooooo!

Anonymous said...

Weak!! Take the Nike motto and just DO IT!